Monday, July 19, 2004

Kerry Suffering from Severe Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome
 
During his recent tour through the Midwest where he "connected" with "working families" and "average Americans," John Kerry was asked for some bona fides by a reporter from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinal
 



He was asked in the interview Sunday what kind of hunting he preferred.


"Probably I'd have to say deer. It's tough, depending on where you are," said Kerry.

"I go out with my trusty 12-gauge double-barrel, crawl around on my stomach. I track and move and decoy and play games and try to outsmart them. You know, you kind of play the wind. That's hunting," said Kerry.


 
Now, I don't know much about deer hunting but I'm pretty sure no one goes crawling around on their belly with a shotgun trying to outsmart deer.  Certainly no one who expects to bag a deer.
 
First of all, deer hunters sit all day in stands usually high up in trees.  Second of all, they use rifles with telescopic sights because you can't get very close to a deer.  Third of all, deer are skittish and fast.  They tend to notice six-foot-four Senators crawling through dead leaves and over tree stumps with heavy equipment including, maps, shotguns, and presumably a full-size decoy deer.  The smell of the Aramis alone would likely send them running.
 
For this approach to be successful, Kerry would have to crawl within a few feet of the deer (with a gale force wind blowing in the opposite direction), plant the barrel of his shotgun against the deer's temple and pull the trigger. 
 
Doesn't sound all that sporting to me.
 
I think Kerry, who is a Vietnam veteran (it was a traumatic experience and he doesn't like to talk about it)  is confusing deer hunting with The Deer Hunter, unless one of the games he uses to outsmart his prey is Russian Roulette.
 
You would think that Kerry would be sensitive to the charge that he is a Swiss-boarding school educated billionaire opportunist and strive not to validate it each time he speaks.    
 
Then again, maybe he's just outsmarting me. 
 
A condescending, elitist, dillitante?  That's exactly what he wants me to believe. 
   
 

No comments: